Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Sassy Bento 24.6.08

Sassy Bento 24.6.08

Today's bento is in the new Mommy and Baby Alien Onigiri box (I know they're rabbits, but I thought they were Aliens first, so it's stuck). It's a rather small box, but I think it'll suit my daughter who eats like a bird.

Left has edible joke, salt onigiri with ume shiso furikake and a sausage in the middle, mini bag of skittles.

Middle has a few more cocktail sausages, sugar snap peas and grapes. I later added a frozen "Frubes" tube of yogurt that should keep the lunch cool and be a nice snack.

Right has bacon, egg and cheese filo bites. Recipe to follow.

I saw a fellow bento friend make filo pastry bites and I thought - how great are those! So when I saw filo pastry in ready made in the shop - and on sale - I bought two.

They come in one large, six layers deep sheet. I split the sheets and rolled the other three layers back up and put them back in the fridge for later.

I then took my pizza cutter and made two inch squares. I had a few extra. I put the squares into the small cups of my mini muffin silipan.

I added a few bits of cooked bacon, then poured a mixture of whisked eggs (3 large) with salt and pepper - I would've added cream if I'd had any - and then topped with some shredded cheddar cheese.

Put into a preheated oven, about 220C, and let them cook until the cheese turned light brown. About 20 minutes. They began to grow out of the silipan, so the bottom wasn't very crisp. this recipe may suit a metal pan better.

They were still really nice, and Sassy will get these in her bento lunches.

Really annoyed I couldn't figure out how to auto focus my kid's camera. Here's blurry series of pics.

Quiche bitesQuiche bitesQuiche bitesQuiche bites

No comments: