Saturday, June 28, 2008

Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies



I found this recipe here flickr but couldn't find it again which was frustrating as I never wrote down the recipe. So I had to google around for a chocolate cookie recipe, and then a peanut butter one and put them together. So what I have here is a vegan recipe but if you're not a vegan or, like me, have a kid with allergies to milk and eggs, then use butter.

Chocolate Cookie dough:

3.5oz vegan spread
3oz sugar
pinch of salt
2oz self rising flour
4oz of whole wheat flour
1/2 cup of cocoa powder (sorry I'm an Imperial girl living in a metric world - my wires get crossed)
2tsp vanilla extract

Cream spread and sugar together and then knead in the rest of the ingredients to form a nice ball of dough. Set aside.

Peanut butter dough:
(Now, I don't really have a recipe as I kind of winged it, but here's what I did)

1/2 cup of peanut butter
1/2 a cup of flour
1 tsp vanilla extract

Knead it until a soft dough ball forms. Add the flour is small amounts until the right texture is achieved, as in you can roll wee peanut butter balls.

Take a chunk of the chocolate dough and roll a ball in your hands, then flatten out to make a small cup shape. put a peanut butter ball in the middle and curl the chocolate around until peanut butter is completely hidden. Flatten out and add to a pan.

These came out really nice and a bit cakey. Crumbly and not too sweet. Absolutely brilliant with a cup of hot coffee or glass of milk.

This recipe made a dozen and I had extra peanut butter so I'll freeze it for another recipe.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks good. But what is the oven temperature and bake time?

Lyvvie said...

I put them in at 180C for about 12 minutes. I have a fan assisted oven so if yours isn't then you'll need to adjust your temp and time. But cookies never take long.

Anonymous said...

What is vegan "spread"? Is that vegan butter?

Lyvvie said...

Yes, that would be vegan butter or margarine. "Vegan spread" on it's own, out of context from the recipe, sounds naughty.

Anonymous said...

hello, i'm wondering where you get the vegan peanut butter?
thankyou!
:)

Anonymous said...

The original recipe I had from a hyvee cook book used peanut butter and powdered sugar in the center