Monday, August 4, 2008

Sassy Bento 5.8.08

Sassy Bento 5.4.08

Sassy gets leftover today, which she helped pack. Well, she watched me pack and made "MMmmmm" noises because she doesn't like to touch wet icky food.

Top has edible joke and vitamins.

Middle is leftovers of white rice, smoked gammon in sweet ginger, sesame and soy sauce with steamed sugar snap peas.

Bottom has Babybel cheese, a fruit bar, raspberries, blueberries and a mini lollipop. She gets a plum and a nectarine for extra snacks.

Recipe for the sauce:

1 thumb of ginger, peeled
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1-2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp water

Puree together in food processor and then add to a hot pan near the end of cooking to cook garlic through.

I use this sauce a lot and it suits all meats and veggies. It takes no time and tastes amazing. You can shift the flavours a bit by adding vinegar, or a half cup of fresh squeezed orange juice, a tbsp of oyster sauce; lots of choices. You have to try a few and see what you like. This also works great as a marinade.

5 comments:

nobu said...

I think the sauce is good with rice. looks delicious.

By the way, do you write a joke for your daughter every morning?

Lyvvie said...

I write a joke most mornings. It's hard to remember if I have used a joke before. I find the jokes on the internet. She likes to eat them after she tells the jokes to her friends. The joke is written on rice paper.

Shorty said...

I love the joke idea!

Who will write ME a joke for my lunch :( ??

Actually i have an idea

- print out slips of jokes and quirks, cut em up and fold them...pick one at random, and throw it into my lunch! How is THAT for entertaining one self??

;)

jomamma said...

There are some good internet 'joke of the day' sites. They run the gamut from raunchy to religious. It's just fun to get a joke in the email everyday. Shorty you could read that while you were eating your lunch.

Rene said...

I just got your link from Chys*'s blog. I love your ideas. With school starting in a month, I need ideas for food for my kids' lunches. These are great.