Monday, November 24, 2008

Lemon Spice Biscotti

Biscotti

I've been playing around with biscotti recipes and haven't found one that works right yet. Nothing like the hard, crisp, dunkable biscotti I've had in cafes. This recipe I tried today is an alteration of the one I found yesterday...which makes no sense to any of you reading this because I never posted either. First recipe is as follows:

2 eggs
150g caster sugar
1tsp mixed spice
100g plain flour
zest of a small orange.

1. Preheat oven to 180C and grease and dust with flour a loaf tin.
2. Beat eggs and sugar and zest together until well blended and frothy. Add dry ingreients and mix well. Scrape mixture into the tin; it should go about half full.
3. Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove, turn out onto a cutting board and slice into 1/4 inch slices. Place the slices onto a baking sheet and put back into the oven for five minutes to toast, then turn over and toast the other side. Remove and cool.

Pretty easy. But leaves a chewy middle. Biscotti shouldn't have a chewy middle. Yesterday's with the orange zest was much nicer than the lemon, but the lemon is nice too. I just ran out of oranges. I'll have to try traditional almond and chocolate next time.

So I've looked around at other recipes and some seem to not end up with a batterlike texture, but more of a dough that is rolled, sliced and then toasted. That sounds a bit more accurate then what I found. Granted, I was trying to veganize this recipe - but I've since decided that these should be my own special cookie treat that I don't have to share with anyone. Greedy? No, just something special all for me. Doesn't mean I don't make something special for everyone else too.

I'll keep trying.

3 comments:

allthingspurple said...

I will be looking out for your news too. I, too, have been looking out for a biscotti recipe but could never bake one that is up to mark.

Thought I was the only one. hee..hee

Lyvvie said...

I got a little bit closer yesterday with a different recipe. The photos are here, but I'm not happy yet and didn't put the recipe up.

Anonymous said...

The biscotti recipe I use is an Oreo cookie biscotti. It gets really nice and hard, just like in the cafes, and its not all that sweet either. Here's a variation on it but it works just as well http://www.recipezaar.com/Oreo-Biscotti-10839