Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Bento for 16.12.08

Bento for 16.12.08

Again with the same but different bentos for Husband and Sassy.

Each gets a ham and onion quiche, sausages, sugar snap peas and cheddar cheese. Husband's onigiri has roast beef and chili miso inside and sukiyaki furikake on the outside with nori, and Sassy has sausage in hr onigiri with sukiyaki furikake and nori. I added the nori as I'd made the rice too wet and it was falling apart. Husband gets Minstrels for a sweet, Sassy gets Starburst chews.

Now, for you folks who are keen, here's the recipe for the mini quiche:

Mini Quiche
(copied from the Flickr page here)

These are a very quick way to make something special for the lunch that is calorie, protein, and flavour rich. The base is made with store bought shortcrust pasty that I've cut into small cubes, rolled out with my daughter's toy rolling pin (which I now keep) and pressed into the bottom of the silicone muffin pan. I did not pre-cook them with beans or anything.

The quiche mix is:
four whole eggs.
2tbs cream
pinch of sea salt
pinch of ground pepper
tsp of Shwartz garlic Italian seasoning
Whisk together until liquid and no more gelled egg is visible.

Into each pastry section I put in a diced slice of ham, few bits of finely diced onion and some shredded cheddar cheese. I poured to the top of the pastry and put into a hot oven, 250C, for about 20-25 minutes or until the tops are nicely browned and puffed up and the pastry looks lightly brown too.

Eat hot or cold.

And if you fancy, I made these amazing cookies over the weekend, too.

Cinnamon Marzipan Swirls

Recipe and photo journey here. I'll add that these came out brilliant the second time I made with with the no-stick bake sheet beneath them.

4 comments:

jomamma said...

Those cookies look fantastic... I've never had marzipan.

jmc said...

Mmm, marzipan.

Thanks for sharing the mini quiche recipe -- it looks pretty simple, and on par with the regular sized quiche recipes I've tried lately, so I'll be trying it out :)

nobu said...

Chili Miso?
Is it spicy?

Lyvvie said...

Marzipan is the same as almond paste, I believe. But I admit I'd never had it until I moved here. I'm not a big fan of the stuff, but my Husband and the kids love it.

JMC - That's the fun on making mini; the recipes are the same. It's just working out how to make them small with smaller cups and stuff without buying a whole ton of bakeware.

Nobu - Chili miso (Taeyangcho Gochujang) is spicy and bright red. It's delicious. I bought it here, see if you can find it. Husband really liked it.