Monday, June 7, 2010

Israeli Cous-cous Onigiri

Israeli cous-cous onigiri

My kids haven't been inspired to eat lunch lately as recess time is far more fun. I've not been putting much effort into bento since it all came back and they'd just eat the scraps and shooggled about bits as an after school snack. Why should I put in all that effort if they aren't bothered to eat or appreciate it?

I bought a bag of "Israeli cous-cous" at the grocery because they looked like cous-cous pearls. turns out they are more like wee pasta pearls but are cooked similar to cous-cous. I boiled them for 8 minutes in chicken stock and then left them to steam and plump up. I noticed once they cooled that they stick and clump together - like Beados!. Turns out, they make great onigiri too. Secret is put them in the mould while warm and leave them until almost cooled and then tip them out to finish cooling. Once cooled they hold together brilliantly. This one has ham inside.

The other treat is the mini jam tart which is simply cut squares of ready-made shortcrust pastry filled with chunky plum jam and baked in a mini-muffin pan until the crust is browned and the jam has melted.

The rest is carrot, corn, red pepper and cherry tomatoes.

(Oh no! there's a hair on it...don't view in large size!)

6 comments:

jomamma said...

Lol, where? I don't see it... you shouldn't have said anything about it. That looks good, hairy or not.

Lyndsey said...

What great ideas you have. The jam tart looks so good, a nice treat. Nice way to use the Israeli couscous, I'm going to try it.

Heather said...

I love this! What a brilliant idea. Your lunches are always so pretty.

Mommyof2girlz said...

Hi found you through What's For Lunch, love the idea of using cous-cous instead of rice. Nice to meet you :)

mr. pineapple man said...

love it! its genius.

Survivor said...

For sure...sheer genius, and so creative. My eyes popped out of my head when I saw the picture, and even more so as I read the description. AND IT HAS HAM INSIDE!! HAM INSIDE!!