Friday, November 11, 2011

Breakfast Banana Muffins

Woke up to no milk for cereal. Not a nice way to start a Saturday, with kids grumbling they can't eat anything. Woe is them, woe I say! Fine, I'll make muffins. Yes, I have no milk, but who needs milk to make muffins??

I do have a bunch of perfectly spotted bananas and quickly whipped together a muffin batter. I made enough to also get a banana bread so the poor dears can have that later for lunch treats or snacks. This recipe has no milk in it, only water. It's surprising how a recipe can still work even when you remove most of the elements you think must be in the recipe.


Breakfast Banana Muffins

I like the bananas kind of chunky
Breakfast Banana MuffinsBreakfast Banana MuffinsBreakfast Banana MuffinsBreakfast Banana Muffins
See how the oil in the flour looks like Australia? That was a happy accident.


Breakfast Banana Muffins

3 cups of self rising flour
1 cup of sugar (add more if you want sweeter but the bananas are really ripe and sweet already)
3/4 cup of extra light olive oil (or other light veggie oil or extra virgin olive oil if you only have it)
1.5 cups of water and extra added to get right batter thickness. I don't know exactly how much as it was only 7am and no coffee yet.)
2 large bananas mashed a little with a fork (I like chunky bits of nana here and there)
TBSP of mixed spice
TSP of salt
2 medium eggs (Added for protein but not exactly needed so omit if you're vegan)

Bake in a preheated 170C oven for 20-25 minutes. These took 25. When mixing the batter, I left it quite thick so it needed spoon-pushed into the muffin tin.

I suppose the best thing about this kind of recipe is you can throw just about anything into the bowl and it'll probably turn out all right. You could substitute one or two cups of flour for whole wheat, or add some oat bran. Add some nuts or dried cranberry. Whatever makes you happy! Muffins should always make you happy.

Breakfast Banana Muffins

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Yummy sounding muffins!

I love that smile! Baking success, for sure! :)